Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gluing the pieces on

Time to start attaching the puzzle pieces to the body. I mixed some epoxy glue and started putting them one. Here goes the first round:

I managed to cram a line of them between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity, although I had to trim them a bit. I put a few more pieces on and left them pressed down for the night. In the morning I found the guitar looking like this:

After three or four such sessions I had all the pieces on the body.

As you can see I'm not trimming the pieces that are close to the edges. This is intentional. I want to maintain the puzzle "look" and keep the jagged edges.

At this point I'm done with the body for now - what remains to be done is covering it with clearcoat. This is going to be a bit complex, I need to find a spray gun and I'll probably be trying to use the facilities in the CERN Auto Club. But since I have other small projects going on in parallel, where I will also be clearcoating the bodies so I want to wait and do all of them at the same time. I anyway have quite some work to be done on the neck and fingerboard so I'll shift to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment