Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fretslot filling - action!

Time for the real thing. Here's the fingerboard and some padauk veneer:

I've cut the needed number of strips roughly to size, paying special attention to get at least the bottom side flat, as the fret slots have flat bottom. Then I've glued them in one by one with super glue:

After about an hour I've trimmed the excess wood with a flush-cut saw:

Following up with some quick sanding, I ended up with this:

Now before I start putting the radius on the fingerboard (I'll be going with 16' radius) I'm thinking of doing some sort of inlay.. maybe a muon track curving along its way down the frets, with an extra cascade of particles from catastrophic energy loss around fret #12.. I'll try to design something.

No comments:

Post a Comment