Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fretboard inlay layout

A few days ago, sitting in a plane with my laptop, I got a chance to work on designing the fingerboard inlay. This is what I ended up with after about an hour in GIMP:


The lines are representing two muon tracks running out from the interaction point and bending in the detector's magnetic field. A personal touch is an electromagnetic cascade produced by one of the muons at the 12th fret. Dealing with such cascades is one of the things I've been doing for a long time in CMS.

The drawing is a little bit cheated, since cascades like this usually happen to very high energy muons and the ones plotted are low energy. How do I know? Its because of the bending. The higher the energy, the smaller the bending. The really high-energy ones that I work with look basically straight. But straight lines would look boring so I decided to slip in this little scientific inaccuracy, in favor of aesthetics.

Ok, so now that I've explained myself, I need to figure out how to make such inlay.. hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment